Background

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Incredibly Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes

So I recently found out that I was robbed.  Robbed of the joy of eating a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie at recess, robbed of memories of silky smooth pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, no pumpkin soup, no pumpkin bread, no pumpkin pasta.  None. ROBBED.

 My mom does not like Pumpkin, she never cooked or served things she didn't like. Don't get me wrong, my mother is a fabulous and creative cook, but pumpkin never hit the home cooking radar for me until recently.    I never knew what I was missing until a few years ago at Thanksgiving with the in-laws.  Grandmas pumpkin pie may very well be the most delicious an amazing dessert I have ever had. Silky smooth and incredibly fluffy.  No, I don't know how to make it, and I don't have the recipe, but I wish I did.  It opened my eyes to the fact that there is a whole big pumpkin flavored world out there and I'm missing out.

I did a little gender reveal party for my bestie (She is having a boy YAY!!) last Sunday and made these little gems for dessert.  VERY easy and delish!

Incredibly Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes

1 Box White, Yellow or Vanilla Cake Mix
1 15 oz Can Pure Pumpkin (NOT PIE FILLING)
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 8 oz block Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup  butter, softened
1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste


Step 1:     Preheat oven to temperature on the box of cake.  Mine was 350 Degrees.

Step 2:     Combine all ingredients except pumpkin.  Mix well.  You could use a sifter here. I don't have  one, so I stirred.

Step 3:     Add pumpkin and use a mixer to blend well.  You will have a very thick batter.

Step 4:     Spoon into cupcake liners.  Fill each cup 2/3 full. Give the pan a good firm tap or two on the counter.  This batter does not settle into perfectly shaped cupcakes.  Any peaks or lumps will still be there when they are fully baked..  Mine were very likely the ugliest little cupcakes I'd ever seen.  Not to worry, this is hidden with a delightful layer of frosting!!!

Step 5:      Bake according to the instructions on your cake box, or test with a toothpick. Mine took about 16 minutes.  Remove from cupcake pan and allow to cool completely.

Step 6:     While the cupcakes are in the oven, whip up the frosting.  In a medium bowl, blend the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.  You will need an electric mixer, hand or stand.

Step 7:     Slowly add the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time. You may need up to 1 1/2 lbs of sugar to the  consistency you desire.

Step 8:     Use your favorite frosting bag and tip to frost these little guys, thus hiding the ugly little cupcake mounds.

Pictures are coming :)

No comments:

Post a Comment